The 2017 University Sporn Award for Excellence in Teaching Introductory Subjects
The University Sporn Award is a student-selected award for teaching excellence in introductory subjects.
This award is presented in memory of Dr. and Mrs. Philip J. Sporn. Dr. Sporn was President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Electric Power Company.
One award of $2000 is given each year, and the recipient is inducted into the Virginia Tech Academy of Teaching Excellence.
Nominations are received from students only. The award selection committee is comprised of student representatives from ODK and Golden Key along with a faculty advisor (the previous year's award winner).
Eligible candidates for the Sporn Award are Virginia Tech faculty members who--
- are full-time employees;
- hold the rank of professor, associate professor, assistant professor, or instructor;
- teach introductory courses at the 1000/2000 level; and
- have not received the Wine or Alumni Teaching Award in the past seven years.
Nomination deadline TBA, early January 2017. Announcement of the 2017 Sporn Award will be made in late-March 2017.
Submit a Nomination for the 2017 Sporn Award.
For more information, write to Dr. Michael Rosenzweig,, the Sporn Award Contact
Student-Selected Sporn Award Recipients
- 2000 - Dr. Terry Papillon
- 2001 - Dr. Matt McAllister
- 2002 - Dr. John Boyer
- 2003 - Dr. William Snizek
- 2004 - Dr. Sue Saffle
- 2005 - Dr. Diane Agud
- 2006 - Dr. Paul Heilker
- 2007 - Dr. William Beal
- 2008 - Dr. Elisabeth Bloomer
- 2009 - Matthew Vollmer, M.F.A.
- 2010 - Dr. David G. Schmale III
- 2011 - Dr. Michael J. Alexander
- 2012 - Dr. Suchitra Samanta
- 2013 - Dr. Kee Jeong Kim
- 2014 - Dr. Greg Tew
- 2015 - COL Dave Miller, Ph.D.
- 2016 - Dr. Michael Rosenzweig
The Alpha Omicron Circle of Omicron Delta Kappa